Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sweet-Pea-Creations Proving that good things don't have to cost a lot

Many people today automatically assume that if something is inexpensive than it must be of poor quality. I unfortunately once belonged to that mindset buying the most expensive products thinking that I was getting top quality. Then I had my first son and my world was turned up side down when I learned how many things a baby required (sound familiar John & Anna?). After the initial shock of 'oh, my God how are we going to pay for this baby' wore off I learned how to comparison bargain shop and my skies cleared. Lesson after lesson I learned that low price does not equal low quality. I just came across a WAHM run business that is proof positive that GREAT products can be affordable. Looking through the online catalog at www.Sweet-Pea-Creations.com I kept thinking, 'how can these beautiful birth announcements & shower invitations be at such low prices?', I contacted the owner about her products and I realized why. Over the phone I asked Susan why her prices were so low for such great products? She replied that so many people had recently been asking her the same question enough for her to think more than once about raising her prices. She continued to tell me that after people get their announcements and invitations back many say, "Susan, you really should charge more!" but Susan still continues to keep her prices low. As the mother of two toddlers she knows how much it costs to bring up babies and she also knows how important the birth of a new child is to a family. She is very proud to make it possible for families on a budget to announce the arrival of their child in style without having to break the bank. Her prices have made her very popular with those on a budget, she in fact started selling on eBay where there are many bargain shoppers. It is her quality work that brings her many repeat customers and referrals, though.

Selling on eBay isn't easy because there is always someone selling the same thing at a lower price. So, I asked her how she had managed to stand out from the pack enough to build a steady customer base large enough to then launch her own site. Her reply was that her main goal has always been to provide each customer with complete order customization. If a customer has a very specific and difficult idea for an announcement or invitation she welcomes the challenge. Susan said, "I recently finished work on a birth annoucement that was extremely difficult beacause the customer had an exact idea of how the finished product should look. She specified that it must be a 5 x7 and that all the wording be around a large open span where a picture of the baby would go. She didn't want any of the lettering to cover the baby's face. She also wanted it to be in a specific font." I asked, "Wow, that sounds like it must have taken you twice the work of a usual order. How much extra did you charge her for the customization?" Her reply came as a huge surprise to me, "I didn't charge her extra. My specialty and goal is to design cards that are especially made for each customer. I don't want two cards to ever be alike. I will work closely with my customers to make sure everything is just as they want it. I am also happy to make any suggestions to those customers who aren't quite sure what they want. I create announcements and invitations whose final product are exactly what the customer wanted whether they came to me with specifics or not". "So, how many tries did that one very detailed announcement take you?", was my next question. "Oh, I don't know it took a few to work the font just right to include the exact wording the Mom wanted and not have any of it touch the edge of where the babies picture would be. It was worth it though. I love being able to do it perfect and see what my customer says.", Susan replied. I think that it is an incredible thing Susan does. There aren't any large printing companies that I have ever heard of that go to the lengths she goes to in order to achieve customer satisfaction, especially at her low prices. Susan says that she is grateful for the opportunity that Sweet-Pea-Creations provides her to be able to stay at home with her children. She doesn't plan on raising prices now that she is so popular even among those not on a budget because she finds it to be a mutually rewarding relationship she shares with her customers. She gets to be a WAHM and they get totally customized products at great low prices. For a standard 4 x 6 announcement or invitation from Sweet-Pea-Creations pricing starts at $1 each and the minimum order required is only 20. For a larger 5 x 7 the pricing starts at $1.25 each, minimum order is also 20. Which is a very reasonable and fair price for cards that are handmade using high quality cardstock (acid free), papers (acid free) and ribbons, printed with fade-proof and smudge-proof inks, that even come assembled.
By clicking the sample of Sweet-Pea-Creations most popular announcement Pink Rose you will be redirected to their website. Thank you for taking the time to read my words. Blog 2 you later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home